Saturday, October 25, 2008

Jerry Lewis: He's in no hurry for the last laugh

These days, the King of Comedy is graying at the temples and sometimes a little wobbly on his feet. But don't ask him about retirement.

"A break? No, why? You got something better to do?" Jerry Lewis told a reporter Friday who asked if the 82-year-old entertainer was contemplating leaving the stage after more than 60 years of performing.

Lewis was at a news conference in Sydney, Australia, to promote his latest stage show, a retrospective of his career that includes show tunes with a 24-piece band, excerpts from his movies and television shows, and his trademark slapstick comedy.

"Don't you understand that when you croak, it's for a ve-e-e-e-ry long time," Lewis said when asked about retirement. "So you want to get in as much activity as you can before you go."

Jerry Lewis (right) with his old sidekick the late Dean Martin.

2 comments:

dino martin peters said...

Hey pallie, like thanks so much for the great pix of our Dino and the kid. More and more, I am amazed by the way these two worked so well together...

Teresa aka Tess said...

Jerry is a legend and I will forever remember him as the man that wouldn't sy no to Muscular Dystrophy. I am in my 40's and when I was much younger and was watching the old Jerry Lewis and Dean martin Shows I thought he was younger thatn my parents, geez was I wrong but then again was I......
You are only as old as you feel and I'd say Mr. Lewis feels young.