Tuesday, April 10, 2007

1944 : Marlene Dietrich's first overseas show for G.I.'s

In 1944, Marlene Dietrich gave the first of her many shows for U.S. servicemen overseas. Born in Berlin, Dietrich came to the United States in 1930 to make movies after considerable success on the German screen. She allegedly refused several offers to return to Germany to star in Nazi films. She became a U.S. citizen in 1939 and worked tirelessly during and after World War II to sell war bonds and entertain troops. She was awarded the Medal of Freedom and named Chevalier of the French Legion of Honor.

Based on a German poem of 1915, this song became a favorite of both German and American troops during the Second World War, both in English and in the original German.

A curious example of song transcending the hatreds of war, American troops particularly liked Lili Marlene as sung by the German-born actress and singer, Marlene Dietrich.

The lyrics:

Underneath the lantern by the barrack gate, Darling I remember the way you used to wait, 'Twas there that you whispered tenderly, That you loved me, You'd always be, My Lili of the lamplight, My own Lili Marlene.

Time would come for roll call, Time for us to part, Darling I'd caress you and press you to my heart, And there 'neath that far off lantern light, I'd hold you tight, We'd kiss "good-night," My Lili of the lamplight, My own Lili Marlene.

Orders came for sailing somewhere over there, All confined to barracks was more than I could bear; I knew you were waiting in the street, I heard your feet, But could not meet, My Lili of the lamplight, My own Lili Marlene.

Resting in a billet just behind the line, Even tho'we're parted your lips are close to mine; You wait where that lantern softly gleams, Your sweet face seems to haunt my dreams, My Lili of the lamplight, My own Lili Marlene.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marlene Dietrich did a variation on the lyrics, probably to endear the song to the troops of the day:

...When we are marching in the mud and cold, And when my pack seems more than I can hold, My love for you renews my might, I'm warm again, My pack is light, It's you Lili Marlene, It's you Lili Marlene...

No comments: