Saturday, January 20, 2007

Architect Peter DeMaria brings the first IBU based project to life.

This is for real - a house built with IBUs, or Intermodal Building Units (thats the name for shipping containers) which is being built in Redondo Beach California and has been permitted through perhaps one of the most restrictive permitting environments in the country. Architect Peter DeMaria is building the first project. Its very exciting to see a real project coming about, permitted and approved as a legitimate building system.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been following this project since I saw it on CNN a few months back. I came across your blog and if my map is correct, you are very close to this building. It sounds like this project is creating quite a stir. How did an Architect from Manhattan Beach come up with an "affordable" house? Isn't Manhattan Beach a super expensive place to live? Is the architect more artist than architect? Are there other projects like this in Manhattan Beach? Maybe you can fill us in on any details. Thank you!

Arthur Eades said...

Thanks for your interesting comment. Even though I do live in this area it sounds like you know more about this project than I do. It seems the architect is striving to implement his innovative ideas for affordable housing that could be used in any locale.

Anonymous said...

This site really has all the information I needed concerning this subject and didn't know who to ask.
Feel free to visit my page - africanmangoplusdirect.com