Tuesday, July 04, 2006

TIMES PAST: AN ELECTRIFYING RIDE TO MT. LOWE

July 4, 1893: The world's first electric-powered mountain railway opened above Altadena, with accompanying music from the Pasadena City Band, which rode in the first cable car from Rubio Canyon to Echo Mountain.

White-knuckled passengers on the Mt. Lowe Scenic Railway held on tightly as the car began its ascent. At the base of Echo Mountain, some stopped to enjoy the amenities at the Rubio Hotel and pavilion. Those wishing to go higher could travel to the top of the mountain by funicular, a 3,000-foot, very steep ride, with grades reaching 62%.

"The number of people who visited Rubio Canyon is variously estimated at from two thousand to six thousand people," The Times reported, adding that "if the patronage continues half as liberal as it has been so far, the financial success of the undertaking is assured."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arthur, July 4, 2006 came and went with barely a note on your prolific blogspot. Do you celebrate Independence Day?

Arthur Eades said...

My, you are a man of keen perception. No, I really didn't do much celebrating, but I've never felt I needed to wave a flag to demonstrate my patriotism, and with all these e-mails, e-cards and websites displaying these inspirational messages with fireworks, music and special effects I hardly feel it necessary to add my "2 cents worth."

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Arthur. A simple "no" would have been good enough for me. Are you proud to be an American?

Arthur Eades said...

I am very proud to be an American and I feel truly blessed. (A "NO" wouldn't work here).

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Arthur. The USA is fortunate to have you.