Thursday, January 19, 2006

A DAY WITH THE SOARING SEA GULLS AND THE DIVE-BOMBING PELICANS

I felt inspired today. Of course, I always feel inspired after taking my daily walk at the seashore and out on the Manhattan Beach Pier. But, today was special. As I walked out on the pier, I saw the puddle of water that told me that Richard had been there showering the pigeons, feeding them and providing them with fresh water. (On May 19, 2005, I did a full posting on Richard and his wonderful project---Check the Archives, May 2005). I'm always reassured by that puddle. The wind was very strong today and the sea gulls were enjoying it immensely. They appeared to be floating, or suspended by an invisible string as they rode on the wind like a kite. Today there were very large waves. It's always exciting to watch those large waves come rolling in, and to see them crashing against the pier. Sometimes if you position yourself just right in relation to the sun, you can see lovely rainbows as the water from the crashing waves flies up into the air. The pelicans were out in formation today conducting their fishing excursions. I"m always amazed to see the pelicans flying along, and then one by one peeling off into a dive straight down into the sea. I try to watch carefully to see if they got their prey. Oh yes, a day at the seashore always reminds me of what a wonderful world we live in and how blessed many of us are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Arthur, when the diving pelican surfaces, it sometimes tips its head back and swallows. Thanks for the kind words. Fresh clean water always helps the birds, especially after a sewage spill.