Friday, May 27, 2005

WHY IS IT THAT CUBS FANS ARE EVERYWHERE ??

I grew up in Illinois rooting for the Cubs. However, I've now lived in Southern California for many, many years . . . but I've never stopped rooting for the Cubs. One thing I've always been curious about is their popularity. This popularity has deep roots and continues in spite of many, many losing seasons. Attendance figures for the individual teams are quite revealing. At home the Cubs are limited by the friendly confines of Wrigley Field which has a seating capacity that is rather small compared to the average for ballparks today. But on the road, the Cubs have always ranked near the top in their ability to draw large crowds. For the 2005 season through July 8, the Cubs drew an average of 37,502 fans on the road, tops in the National League by almost 3,000 fans. The only club to top this total was the Boston Red Sox in the American League. They averaged 39,364 fans on the road. I'm reminded of this pervasive popularity quite often. When I take my daily walk I usually wear my "Cubs" floppy hat. People recognize it everywhere and often make comments such as: "How about those Cubbies" or "How'd they do today, did they win?" I sometimes wonder what it would be like if I wore my "Cubs" baseball Cap which is even more easily recognized. One thing is clear to me, Cub Fans are everywhere. For a "tongue in cheek" tribute to the Cubs, visit Cubbyland (see link on sidebar).

No comments: